Travel After Brexit

Please see our FAQ below on how your holiday may be affected by Brexit after the 31st December 2020.

Will I need a new passport to travel after Brexit?

No. Your current passport will be valid as long as it is less than 10 years old and has six months left before it runs out.  However, you’ll no longer be able to use EU fast-track passport control and when you arrive in an EU country be prepared to show your return ticket.


Will my EHIC card still be valid?

Yes, although now if expired you can apply for a GHIC.  It is still very important that you buy travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go on holiday; especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition.


Will I need a visa to visit France?

If you’re a tourist, you’ll be able to travel to most EU countries without a visa.  You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any rolling 180-day period.


Will I still be able to use my phone abroad without roaming charges?

The guarantee of free roaming throughout the EU ends after Brexit.  The main providers have said they don’t plan to reintroduce roaming charges, however you should check with your own mobile provider.


Will I be able to bring my pet with me?

New information was recently released regarding Pet passports. You will need to have your pet microchipped and vaccinated against rabies and visit your vet no more than 10 days before travel to the EU to get an animal health certificate to prove this information.


Will I still be able to drive in France?

You’ll need to take your driving licence.  If you’re taking your own vehicle, you also need a ‘green card’ from your insurance company, a GB sticker and your log book (V5C).  If you are driving to resort please bear in mind new laws were brought in regarding carrying snow chains/winter tyres on mountain roads.


You can find links to these topics in more detail here.